Welcome to St. Helen’s Church
This is the official web site for St Helen’s Brant Broughton
St Helen’s Church is situated in the village of Brant Broughton in Lincolnshire, just off the A17, between Newark on Trent & Sleaford.
St. Helen’s Church
The village name of Brant Broughton (pronounced Brooton) derives from the Anglo-Saxon brend (meaning burnt) and the Old English burh-ton (meaning fortified manor), so indicating that an early settlement here was destroyed by fire and then rebuilt.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Helen (or Helena), who according to legend went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and found the original Cross of Christ. She was the mother of Constantine ,the first Christian Emperor of Rome.
A priest and church are recorded at Brant Broughton in the Domesday Survey of 1085 to 1087, but none of this early building remains, the oldest surviving parts being 13th century. The earliest original register dates from 1710 but there are Bishop’s Transcripts going back to 1588.
The most famous of all the Rectors at St Helen’s Church is probably William Warburton, who held the living from 1728 until his death in 1779. He became Bishop of Gloucéster in 1760 but had left Brant Broughton some years earlier. While resident here he wrote part of “The Divine Legation of Moses” the scholarly and controversial work which made his name.
Warburton was appointed to the living by its new patron Sir Robert Sutton, whose family still maintains the connection with the church. Several of his relatives were Rectors here.